Wednesday 22 August 2012

Want it Wednesday-White Industries ENO freewheel

It's that time again to join in with want it Wednesday at Jez Andrews's following the chainline blog and it's where anybody who's interested can share there biking related wants and desires with the blogosphere .

My want it this week is a White Industries ENO freewheel for my single speed Pompino . Anybody who's familiar with the whole single speed thing will probably have heard the name of White Industries before as they make what is regarded as the best freewheel on the market. They also make some of the nicest blingest hubs and crank sets too.




Although these lovely pieces of kit are the most expensive on the market at around £65-90 sheets, typically cheaper units can bought for between £10-30, but on most there are no seals, so for off road not much good.  I have to say though that the cheapo one on my bike at the moment is still running ok through some pretty shitty conditions with just a bit of oil poured in now and again ! But the ENO's are totally serviceable, with sealed cartridge bearings, that provide a smooth movement with no tight spots and grinding that you get with cheaper units. On the standard ENO there is a 36t engagement system with a case hardened electroless nickel plated outer gear case. They come in a range of size's from 16t to 22t. There's also a tougher model intended for Trials with a 72t engagement but the real mackdaddy is the ENO DOS which gives you an option of two gears either 16+18 or 17+19 which is tempting.

ENO DOS


Having the different gear would mean you having to manually change the gear by moving the chain by hand, and probably having to adjust your brakes too. So the jury is still out on this option for me as I'm pretty sure what gear I want and you would probably only want to change it again pretty soon anyway.

So there it is this weeks little addition to want it wednesday !

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from my static caravan on Devon! Those white industries freewheels are gorgeous! I still haven't gone the whole pure single speed hub route as yet. I know it means a stronger wheel but I like to have the adaptability even with just changing my gear ratios........still looking at these I'm so tempted! I used to own a white industries front hub and it ran perfectly for years. I sold it in the end and regret it now.

    Thanks for taking part again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy holidays Jez,I know you mean about the adaptability for changing your cogs Jez, also I have been thinking about seeing if I can get the dropouts spaced to 130-135mm because with the 120mm track spacing I'm limited on wheel choice too. I don't know if your aware Jez but White Industries do a splined freewheel but I think it only works with their ENO eccentric hub, it's an option all be it an expensive one....

    ReplyDelete